Horgan Barrett & Co. is a long established Accountancy Practice originally founded by accountant Roger F. Barrett and William J. Horgan in 1977. Over the years, the firm has steadily grown to become a medium sized firm of accountants and registered auditors in Cork and the surrounding areas.
Our firm offers the full spectrum of services that you would expect from a leading Accountancy Practice designed to assist you in the management and development of your business:‐
- Preparation of annual financial statements in accordance with Irish Accountancy Standards
- Preparation of annual financial statements in accordance with International Accounting Standards
- Accounts Management – We will prepare management accounts either monthly or quarterly, tailored to your needs – a key requirement for business planning and decision-making.
- Accounting & general business advice – We will assist and guide you through all stages of your business life from start-up to expansion to retirement planning.
- Financial advice to management – We will assist your management team with key financial advice in order to assist them with report generation & planning.
- Systems and procedures implementation – We will assess, advise and assist in the implementation of systems and procedures to make business more efficient.
- Reporting under various regulatory requirements.
Meet the Team
Roger is a founder member of the firm. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in London with Thomson McLintock & Co. (now part of KPMG) and returned to Ireland in 1973 where he worked as a management accountant with Guinness (Ireland) Limited at their St. James’s Gate brewery.
Roger has gained a great deal of experience over many years in the general areas of audit, taxation, accounts and wealth management. He has also acted as a liquidator and receiver and carried out a large number of special investigation tasks. He has accumulated a huge understanding and knowledge of the medical and associated professions where he advises in relation to practice mergers and structures, as well as wealth creation and retirement planning.
William J. Horgan
Billy co‐founded the firm in 1977 with Roger Barrett. Prior to this Billy worked in London where he obtained broad experience over an eight year period. Billy’s main focus is on the consultancy and corporate finance services of the firm where he has headed up a wide variety of projects including corporate takeovers, financial restructuring and guiding a variety of SME’s. Billy also has considerable expertise and experience in the property side of the business and has initiated a number of projects in the areas of both foreign investments and tax base properties. Billy is an active member of the Douglas Lions club.
Ciaran is a senior manager with particular responsibility for practice management and corporate compliance/company secretarial compliance. He has been in practice since 1989 and has experience in all key areas of practice. He is a member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
David heads up our audit department and has broad experience in advising corporate and individual clients. David has been a member of our team since 1996 and specialises in the areas of Audit and Financial Reporting.
Jim manages our tax department and specialises in planning and compliance for small and medium‐sized enterprises. He joined the firm in 2005 and has gained practice experience in both Cork and Dublin.
Ron qualified as a C.P.A. after undergoing training with Horgan Barrett & Co. He has worked in the software support industry and has vast experience with various accounting packages including, Sage Line 50, Intact and Exchequer. He has worked in New Zealand with Audit New Zealand, a section of the Audit Department and has also worked with many large Government entities. Ronald also heads up the I.C.T. division of the firm.